Saving money on home insurance is easier than you think. Here are eight tips to lower your rates:
1. Get to know your neighbourhood: The physical characteristics of your home and its environment have an impact on your rate. Factors such as building age, number of dwellings, terrain and fire protection will influence your rate.
2. Install an alarm system: Save money on your home insurance by installing a fire and theft alarm system that is linked to a central surveillance system.
3. Increase your deductible: If your financial situation permits, increase the amount of your deductible. A higher deductible will reduce your rate, but you have to be prepared to pay it in the case of a claim.
4. Maintain a good claim history: Those who have made several claims in the past generally experience higher rates than those who have not made a claim.
5. Group your insurance: Receive benefits and savings by having your home and car insurance with the same insurer.
6. Check the contents of your insurance policy: It is a good idea to regularly assess the extent of our coverage and compare it against the value of goods and the supplementary guarantees.
7. Make an inventory: Make a video or take pictures of the inside your apartment or house to document your personal belongings. Doing so helps estimate the value of your belongings and improves the accuracy of the claims process.